My Photo
Name:
Location: San Diego, California, United States

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Part One: JJ DID TIE BUCKLE

In the Marine Corps there are words used, almost religiously, that represent characteristics sought out in leaders of Marines. They call these characteristics The 14 Leadership Traits. These traits are guidelines for Marines to follow in order to attain leadership responsibilities, billets, and rank. The acronym JJ DID TIE BUCKLE is used when teaching young Marines of these dispositions: Judgment, Justice, Decisiveness, Intelligence, Dependability, Tact, Initiative, Endurance, Bearing, Understanding, Courage, Knowledge, Loyalty, Enthusiasm. Additionally, such traits are used to explain the necessity of respect for those of high rank; for the Corps has endowed them with their rank because they have attained these qualities and are to be emulated.

Judgment.
"Pas-kah-la!" Gunny shouted with a mouth full of sunflower seeds from her desk. "Aye, Gunnery Sergeant." I scrambled to my feet and quickly dashed across the small isle to my usual place, standing in front of her desk. "Do you have your security clearance paperwork?" "Yes, Gunny". Her eyebrows lifted and she said slower, "Well, go get them." "Aye, Gunny." I scurried back to my desk. Pulling open the bottom drawer, I retrieved the papers from one of the folders. Returning to her desk, I handed the paperwork to her. Her face twisted . She pinched the papers between her fore finger and thumb while holding it a considerable distance from her body. She looked at the paper I had folded in half, horizontally, and she stared at the single crease along the center. "Um...is this how we turn in paper work?" The expected words lethargically dribbled from my lips. "No, Gunny." She paused. "What are you going to do about it?" Dumbfounded by a question with no reasonable answer I simply said, "I dont know, Gunny." "Thats not an answer. What do you think you should do?" She pressed. "Get a new one." "No, Pomfrey isnt here today." "Fix it?" I responded. Her eyes relaxed a little. "How are you going to do that?" "I dont know, Gunny" She handed the paper to me and removed another sunflower seed from her mouth. "Figure it out." "I think there is still an iron and ironing board in the back." I noted reluctantly. Her eyes grew wider and she said, "Then you know where you need to be..."

Tact.
I sat at my desk, eating a microwavable meal when SSgt Bradley approached me asking if I knew where a fellow Marine, Wyatt went. "Did he leave for chow already? He hasnt finished payroll and Kansas City is waiting for it!" "I am sorry, SSgt. I dont know." Nodding, he left to ask Gunny. Twenty minutes passed, and Wyatt flew through the office door, searching as he walked. Standing next to my desk with SSgt Bradley, where they were waiting for Wyatt, Gunny abruptly turned as she saw him. "Wyatt!" Wyatt stood in front of the two of them in parade rest, waiting his scolding. As she yelled, SSgt Bradley stood quietly. To my disgust, she grew profane. "Are you a piece of shit?" "No, Gunny" "You smell like a piece of shit." "Aye, Gunny." "You look like a piece of shit." "Aye, Gunny." "You live like a piece of shit." "Aye, Gunny." "You act like a piece of shit. Maybe you are a piece of shit." "No, Gunny."

Understanding
It was finally chow time, and I was famished. I sat at my desk looking at the news on the internet. I bit into my sandwich and began reading an email. "Poskahhalaha" "Yes, Gunny." I turned to face her from my chair. She sat arranging her microwavable mini-pizza on its cardboard box. "What are you eating?" Dreading the conversation my answer would inspire, I spoke with pure repugnance of her interest in my lunch. I thought my choice would suffice any criticism, but I was wrong. "A turkey sandwich and a banana, Gunny." Her voice grew loud and boisterous, "A turkey sandwich?! You dont need to be eatn no turkey sandwich!" I said nothing. "Turkeys can run faster than you!" I remained silent. My face was red with embarrassment. "You dont need to be eatn no turkey. You need to leave that turkey alone." I heard a soft chuckle behind me, but I didnt turn to look. I was furious. I have never been over my weight, although I have been close. She is always over her maximum weight, I thought bitterly. "You should put that turkey sandwich down, P-squal-la-ha." She continued with her self-proclaimed wit as she finished her pizza. Desiring nothing more than to cease her incessant belittling and degrading opinions, I threw my sandwich into the trash under my desk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home